Here is my FAB take on Caprese Chicken!! The basil, the tomatoes, the cheese! Umm, excuse me – I think I need a minute to collect myself. Food sometimes gets me a little worked up!
Before we begin, I have to get something off my chest. You see, I like to make stuff up. Not “alternative facts” style (man on man I just couldn’t help myself)! No, I just like to come up with a different take on a recipe of food that has been done and put my own little twist on it.
Is this authentic? No, and I hate to break it to you, I am not Italian either! So, before you give me grief because I didn’t use mozzarella in my recipe just know that I didn’t because I chose to. Yeah, or maybe I was out of mozzarella.
Okay, we can begin now.
I saw a video recipe pop up on my FB feed from www.delish.com – One Skillet Caprese Chicken. I couldn’t get it out of my head. Add that to the fact that I had been meaning to do a sheet pan chicken dish inspired by my “almost” mom’s recipe (yes you Sally) – My inner chef had to come out and play.
This was fun to make and it soo good! Chop, bake and eat. Doesn’t get much easier than that.
- 2 pints Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 pint of Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 large Onion
- Olive Oil
- 1 to 2 tsp Garlic (I like a lot of garlic!)
- 2 lbs Chicken Tenderloins
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper (optional)
- ¼ cup of Fresh Chopped Basil (dried is ok too - just tastes better with fresh)
- ¾ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ cup of Italian Bread Crumbs (optional)
- ½ cup of Shredded Parmesan Cheese (or shredded Mozzarella)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 large baggie
- 16 oz Spaghetti Noodles
- Approx 4 oz of Pesto
- Put chicken into the baggie and add the following: ¼ cup of Olive Oil, ½ cup of Balsamic Vinegar, 1 to 2 tsp of salt and about ½ tsp of pepper. Shake and mix the spices over the chicken tenderloins. You can use chicken breasts instead - just cut them into smaller "tenderloin" sized pieces.
- Preheat oven to 400
- Drizzle about 2 tbs of olive oil onto a large 11x17 sheet pan.
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half and toss onto the sheet pan. Add mushrooms (slice into ¼" pieces if needed)
- Chop onion - I like to cut into quarters and then slice into longer "shreds"
- Add garlic, basil (leave a little to garnish with after cooking), the rest of the balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp crushed red pepper, 1 to 2 tsp of salt and a little bit of pepper.
- Mix everything up on the sheet pan - make sure everything gets a good coating of olive oil and seasonings.
- Evenly add chicken over the cherry tomato goodness. Sprinkle the Italian bread crumbs over the top of the everything and then stand back - admire your work! This is gonna be good!
- Bake for 25 minutes at 400. Turn oven down to 350 and back another 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cook your spaghetti according to the package. Drain and add 2 tbs of olive and 4 oz of pesto to the spaghetti. Mix and set aside.
- Once chicken is done - place the cooked 'loins onto a plate. Add the roasted cherry tomato mixture to the pesto pasta. Coat the pasta in the deliciousness!
- Serve it up! Scoop a generous portion of the pasta onto a plate, add some chicken and top with a good sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Garnish with a pinch of basil for some color and a bit of extra flavor.