If you are looking for the Best Slow Cooker Shrimp and Grits Recipe – then you came to the right food blog! The first word I like to use when describing these is DECADENT! Think creamy dreamy mac and cheese like sauce hugging soft silky smooth grits while shrimp and bacon dance on your tongue.
I can’t help but think of my friend Angelina and New Orleans when I think of Shrimp and Grits. She is obsessed with Shrimp and Grits! A group of friends and I (and by I – I mean my hubby and I) went to New Orleans for Halloween. We spent the weekend sampling different restaurants versions of this amazing dish. If you have never had Shrimp and Grits in New Orleans then you really haven’t had Shrimp and Grits.
Since the trip anytime we are out and see Shrimp and Grits on the menu we gotta try ’em. They are always good – but never as good as what we had in the Big Easy. What do you do when you can’t afford a plane ticket to New Orleans? Make up your own dang recipe of course!
Here is my rendition of our New Orleans Shrimp and Grits adventure. I have to say – these are damn tasty! Oh and Angelina, if you are reading this – I plan on making these for you very very soon.
Serves: 6 to 8 people
- 6 cups of Chicken Broth (set aside 2 cups)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (whole milk works too)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 8 oz Velveeta
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups Old Fashioned Grits
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (1/4 cup for sauce. ¼ cup for garnish)
- 4 green onions
- ½ cup crumbled bacon - I use the precooked bacon crumbles.
- 1.25 lb Shrimp - peeled & deveined
- Old Bay Seasoning
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add 4 cups of chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, sour cream, ½ stick of butter, salt and hot sauce. Cut the Velveeta in to cubes and add to chicken broth mixture. Microwave for 3 minutes, stir, and microwave for another 3 minutes. Do this until smooth.
- Fire up your slow cooker aka crock pot. (I used my pressure cooker in the slow cooker mode) Turn it on high - add the other half of the stick of butter. Let butter melt and coat the cooking surface. Add Old Fashioned Grits to the butter. Stir and coat the grits in butter.
- Once the above chicken stock cheesy mixture is melted add to the slow cooker. Thoroughly stir everything together.
- Cover and turn the crock pot to low. Total cook time is 3 hours. Set a timer for 90 minutes so you can stir the grits. If the grits have absorbed most of the liquid you may need to add some additional chicken broth - it should be less than a cup if at all.
- About 30 minutes before ready to serve I like to prep the rest. Make sure that your shrimp are de-thawed and ready to cook.
- In a medium pan heat up 2 tbs of butter or olive oil - medium heat. Season shrimp with a healthy shake of Old Bay Seasoning and add to pan. Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Thinly chop green onions.
- Warm up crumbled bacon in the microwave for about 45 seconds.
- Remove grits from slow cooker and put into a nice sized baking dish. Evenly add shrimp to the top of the grits, sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese and garnish with green onion. Serve up these delicious Shrimp and Grits up in big bowls.
- Extra credit: After I put the Shrimp and Grits in the bowls - I like to warm up the remaining chicken stock and pour a little around the Shrimp and Grits and then top with a couple drizzles of hot sauce. Creamy, rich and decadent - these Shrimp and Grits will not disappoint!