This Homemade Pesto Bacon Scallop Pizza has quickly become a favorite at McBoxHage Manor. The ingredients are pretty simple and yet work so well together. I have been experimenting with this pizza all summer long. I just added the bacon to it and it all kind of came together and made sense! The bacon adds a nice saltiness.
Don’t worry if you aren’t a bacon eater it can stand on it’s own without it. I make this for my vegetarian friends that eat a little fish from time to time. It is a huge hit with them too.
I have to admit that until I started cooking this pizza I had never really attempted to cook scallops before. I was just a little intimidated by them! So silly! Turns out that they are pretty easy to work with. Just make sure you get a good quality scallop and don’t over cook it.
I used my Bakerstone Pizza Oven to cook these beauties. This little gadget is one of my all time favorites! It brings my pizza making game to a whole new level of awesome.
Serves: 2 14" Pizzas
- 16 oz of Colossal Sea Scallops
- 4 - 6 oz of Pre Cooked Bacon - or you can cook 6 slices
- 8 oz of Pesto
- 16 oz of Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ cup Pine Nuts
- 1 bunch of Parsley
- Pizza Crust of choice - I used Jiffy Pizza Crust
- Defrost the scallops. I bought mine frozen - if yours are fresh, skip this. (obviously!)
- Thoroughly rinse scallops in cool water.
- Cut in half and mix with ⅓ of the Pesto.
- Set aside - I like to let the scallops marinate in the pesto while I do the pizza crust.
- Prepare your pizza crust accordingly. I use Jiffy Pizza crust. It's super easy and tasty to use.
- Quick tip on the pizza crust - you want to pre cook the pizza crust aka par bake. Put pizza crust onto a pizza pan and cook in the oven at 350 for about 8 - 10 minutes. Make sure you pre heat your oven and most importantly oil your pizza pan with olive oil.
- Spread ⅓ of the Pesto onto each of the pizza crusts. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Add bacon on top of pesto and then add scallops. I made one without bacon for my veggie friends.
- Cover in about 8 oz of Mozzarella Cheese (each pizza)
- Preheat your oven to it's highest setting. I recommend using a pizza stone so you get that extra pop of heat. It will still work - the crust just gets a little crispier with a pizza stone. Cook for 8 - 10 minutes.
- I put mine on a pizza peel and threw in my Bakerstone Pizza Ovenon the grill for 8 minutes.
- It's done when the scallops are a whitish color. They cook super fast - don't overcook. Scallops get a little tough if they are overcooked.
- Chop up some parsley and sprinkle on top for a pop of color. Sprinkle a pine nuts and serve it up! Wanna up your game? Toast the pine nuts before you add to the top of your pizza.